We have an allergist appointment coming up this week, and I wanted to test some alternative grains (quinoa, millet, amaranth.) The allergist of course doesn't have any of those grains in their skin prick kits, so I have to bring some in myself. Thus, the trip down the bulk aisle (where we don't normally venture!) to get a few tablespoons of each grain.
DD really wanted to help, but I explained that there were a lot of things that she was allergic to in this aisle, so she shouldn't touch anything. (HAHA- because (almost)3-year-olds always listen to those instructions.) As I was bagging one of the grains, I looked down and saw that she had opened a bin and picked up the scoop (by the handle) that was on the outside of the container. The bin happened to contain soy protein powder, one of her major allergens. I quickly pulled her away, not even thinking that she might have gotten trace amounts of it on her hands (it had been a pretty rough day, we were both pretty flustered by this point.) But really, she's never had soy contact directly, and I haven't had any since she was about 3 months old, so I was really sure how severe an allergy it was. (Had she touched a bin with nuts in it, I surely would have found soap and water immediately!!) I guess she must have rubbed her eye on the way home, because about 5 minutes after getting home I looked at her and saw this:
She wasn't bothered by it in the least, but I was pretty freaked out. Tried alternating homeopathic apis and histaminum (both work great for hives), and they did nothing. Dosed her with Benadryl, nothing. Two hours later, and the swelling wasn't even starting to go down. I finally remembered vitamin C. High doses are known to help with allergic reactions, and it has always helped her reactions in the past. I mixed some sodium ascorbate and pascalite clay (kind of acts like activated charcoal to bind the "toxins") in some honey for her to eat, and almost immediately the swelling started to subside. It didn't go away fully for probably 16 hours, after 3 doses of vitamin C. Poor kid.
So that's your allergy lesson of the day- DO NOT take an allergic toddler into a bulk aisle unless they are strapped securely in a cart or on your back!
In other news... we are seeing a new NAET provider. The first guy kept flaking out on us; out of 4 scheduled appointments, we actually saw him ONCE. Sounded like he was having a string of bad luck, but after driving across town in rush hour traffic only to find no one there, it was hard to be sympathetic. So we're seeing a new acupuncturist, really close to our home, and who is willing to work with us on payments. So far, so good... nothing really exciting to report though. :( DD is sleeping better since starting the treatments, so I guess that's one thing. But she's still not passing the egg mix, even though she's now been treated for it 3 times (once with the first guy, twice with the new lady). Fingers crossed that she passes this week and we can move on to the next treatment!