Welcome to my blog!

This blog is a journal of our struggles with food allergies and eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases (EGIDs). ("DD" stands for "dear daughter", so whenever you see it in the blog it is referring to my daughter and our personal experience.) My hope is for this blog to be a source of information and support to others who might be trying to investigate, diagnose, treat, or live with, food allergies and EGIDs. Feel free to leave comments with suggestions or requests of what you would like to see on this blog. This is a work in progress. :)




July 2010

I know it's been a LONG time since I've posted, and I apologize. Let's see- we've done more skin testing in the last couple months, and come up with a whole bunch more positives. So our IgE list now includes:
  • shellfish
  • fish (salmon is the one we've tested so far, but I'm sure it's not the only one!)
  • beef
  • chicken
  • pork
  • buckwheat (if you've been following our story, you might remember that this was our ONLY safe grain for a year and a half, and then suddenly she started reacting to it.)
  • corn
  • rice
  • rye
  • wheat
  • cow's milk
  • goat's milk
  • egg white
  • egg yolk
  • peanut
  • almond
  • tree nut mix
  • sesame seed
  • green pea
  • soybean
  • string bean
  • sweet potato
  • white potato
  • banana
  • cherry
  • coconut
  • grape
  • raspberry
And that's not counting all the IgG positive. *sigh* Some of these (like grapes and bananas) are just borderline positives and we don't have any major symptoms. But I hate to risk trying them, because others that are just over the positive threshold (like beef, buckwheat) cause major GI and/or behavioral symptoms.

Since we lost buckwheat, I added quinoa back to our diet even though I suspected it long ago of being a problem. I'm still not sure it's ok, because DD's had a ton of excess ear wax lately, but it's our only carb source at this point so we're keeping it for now.

At the beginning of the year, DD was losing some weight and just not doing well- reacting to practically everything she ate. We had a bunch of testing done (which I briefly mentioned in my last post), which showed a possible overgrowth of bacteria in her gut, an oxalate level in her urine that was WAY off the charts, and a few other suspicious things. Since then, she's gained a ton of weight and all tests are coming back normal (except her eos, which are always elevated, and her blood phosphate level- which has also been elevated every time we've done bloodwork, but no one can tell me what that means.) So I have absolutely no idea what cause the backslide in January, or what turned around, but I am thrilled that she's making a bit of progress (even with all the new IgE positives.)

No comments: