by Robyn O'Brien
I urge everyone out there with children- with OR without food allergies- to read this book. Robyn really covers a lot of important bases of how our current (American) food supply is literally making us sick, and how that relates to food allergies. She covers topics such as:
- food additives- colors, preservatives, etc.
- genetically modified foods
- antibiotic and hormone laden meat and dairy
- the truth about soy - the dangers of eating soy, especially for a food-allergic infant!
- the revolving door (and corruption) between the big food and big pharma companies (Monsanto, notably) and the FDA
- the relationship between a major food allergy nonprofit (FAAN) and its corporate (big food AND big pharma) sponsors like Kraft
The things she uncovers in this book are at time horrifying, although sadly, not surprising for me after all the research that I've done in the past year. This is just another reminder that our grocery story dollars are political. When we spend money on food, we are casting our vote. The longer people continue buying this "fake" processed food full of chemicals and carcinogens, the longer it will be produced (and subsidized by our tax dollars!) It's time to cast your vote for healthy, fresh, local, nutrient-rich food for your family!! Especially for food-allergic children whose diets may be limited, it's important to get every possible nutrient from the food we eat.
Robyn also has a website where she shares tips and information about her book, as well as her AllergyKids website with food allergy safety products, information, and a food politics blog.