Welcome to my blog!

This blog is a journal of our struggles with food allergies and eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases (EGIDs). ("DD" stands for "dear daughter", so whenever you see it in the blog it is referring to my daughter and our personal experience.) My hope is for this blog to be a source of information and support to others who might be trying to investigate, diagnose, treat, or live with, food allergies and EGIDs. Feel free to leave comments with suggestions or requests of what you would like to see on this blog. This is a work in progress. :)




Month 12

September 2008

Another month of ups and down... This month started off good- DD's skin was improving and things were looking up. I did a trial of broccoli, and it passed. Then I did a trial of coconut oil, and it failed miserably. We trialed turkey and chicken (for DD directly, I had been eating it previously), and they both seemed ok. But who knows, because we've never actually hit baseline which makes food trials very confusing. Is it a reaction from the new food, or a continuing reaction from something that I've been eating all along? Shortly after the trials, DD had a huge screaming fit after I gave her some chicken bone broth. The next day, she had a tiny bite of a rice noodle from my chicken bone broth soup, and she had a huge reaction. So now- is it the chicken? Is it the rice? Is it traces of corn from the 1T. of vinegar I put into the bone broth before it cooks??

I grew my own kombucha scoby, and started brewing my own in hopes to get more fermented foods/natural probiotics into my diet. Hoping to get some water kefir grains and start brewing that soon too.

We finally found a new, supportive pediatrician who is actually telling me that I'm doing everythign right. She's not pressuring me to start more solids like the old pediatrician did. She agrees that we should take things slow, as we have to be very careful with DD. She also agrees that I need to get some gut healing done first, and then we can focus on DD. But since the problem most likely stems from my gut damage, once that starts to heal, healing DD should be much easier. The ped recommended that I start taking evening primrose oil as a source of omega-3's, keep eating flax (another source), and do a trial of grassfed beef for DD (another source). (DD previously reacted to beef, but it was many months ago and I'm now realizing that she was probably reacting to something else I ate at the same time.)

Toward the end of the month, I started a trial of TwinLabs Allerg-C (Vitamin C from sage palm, rather than corn.) I'm taking it out of the gelcap, just in case gelatin is a problem, and just pouring it into my mouth. :) So far, so good.

At the end of the month, DD had another huge reaction (from who knows what), and I just hit the end of my rope... I decided there was nothing to lose, so I was going to trial the Neocate E028 formula again (drinking it myself, not giving it to her).

No comments: