Welcome to my blog!

This blog is a journal of our struggles with food allergies and eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases (EGIDs). ("DD" stands for "dear daughter", so whenever you see it in the blog it is referring to my daughter and our personal experience.) My hope is for this blog to be a source of information and support to others who might be trying to investigate, diagnose, treat, or live with, food allergies and EGIDs. Feel free to leave comments with suggestions or requests of what you would like to see on this blog. This is a work in progress. :)




Month 6

March 2008

The nurse from the allergy clinic called on March 6th to give us the results of Jayden's blood tests- all test were NEGATIVE, except a very slight positive reaction to peanuts. Ironic, because peanuts are about the only thing she hasn't reacted to, because I haven't eaten any! I have eaten a ton of almonds which she has reacted to, but the almond test was negative. I don't even know why we bothered... I just read (in the brochure that the ALLERGY DOCTOR gave me) that even positive results are correct only 20% of the time, especially on babies with eczema.

I continue the elimination diet... I try some new grains and decide that I can't stand amaranth, but quinoa is ok. By this point, DD's eczema has started to spread. It's still mostly on her forehead, but now there are spots popping up on her cheeks and chin. But they go away quickly every time I find another 'bad' food and take it out of my diet.

During this month, we go out to eat for my mom's birthday. This is the first time I've been out to eat since starting the elimination diet! Everything is good, until the next morning. While DD is eating, her face starts to flare up and get red and bumpy. I decide that it must have been the beef, so now beef is out of my diet too. I also check into my supplements (vitamins, calcium) and decide that I need to find some hypoallergenic ones. I also start taking probiotics (Solgar Advanced Acidolphilus Plus), as they are supposed to help with gut healing.

March 28 - I eat some sugar snap peas... DD reacts. I figure I better take all legumes out of my diet. There goes another source of protein. :(

Each of DD's food reactions seem to be getting progressively worse. Her green poos have turned mucusy, and I spot a few strands of what appears to be blood. We get a stool test done which confirms that it is blood. It is negative for bacteria (just in case the food allergies were all in my head, they tested for a bacterial cause for her poo issues...)

I decide to go on a TED (TOTAL elimination diet), which consists of: turkey, lamb, rice, millet, squash, pears, peaches, sea salt, and canola or safflower oil.

No comments: